Carroll Community Centre
The New Carroll Community Centre offical openning was held on17 March 2011.
Bishop Oudeman delivered a homily that really engaged the attention of students and adults alike and for this we thank him. We were also privileged to have among us personnel from Catholic Education, including ex principal, Dave Greig, Michael Kearney,our area supervisor and Cathy Jackson, (Director, North Schools Service Centre).
The Carroll Community Centre is named after Father Tom Carroll.
Born in 1926 Tom Carroll was ordained to the priesthood in 1952. In September 1961 Fr Carroll was appointed Parish Priest of Kenmore and was charged with building a community. Raising funds for the new church and school was to prove difficult ,but history will indicate that he was the man for the task.
The foundation stone for the school was laid and blessed by Archbishop Duhig on 3 November, 1962. Less than two years after Fr Carroll’s appointment, the Parish had its Church and school, with the official blessing and opening of Our Lady of the Rosary School held on 3 March, 1963.
In the 1974 Brisbane floods, the Preschool building became a temporary storage place for furniture. In January 2011, the Carroll Community Centre was used in a similar way as a recovery centre for the local community.
Fr Carroll had been State Director of Catholic Immigration, recognising his outreach to the wider community. He was also known to welcome members of other faiths to any church celebrations. Fr Carroll received an MBE for Services to community in 1979. In 1989 Fr Tom Carroll resigned as Parish Priest after more than 29 years leading Kenmore community. Father Carroll passed away in 1999. The Carroll Community Centre was named in honour of Fr Tom Carroll in recognition of his leadership and service to the Kenmore Parish and wider community.
The Centre was designed as a Multi-Purpose Performing Arts Centre and is available to the community. Fr Carroll was a sports lover, so it was fitting that the new building was handed over to the school on Melbourne Cup day 2010, and Blessed and Opened on 17 March,